Free Knitting or Crochet Pattern Tutorial: Coffee Cozy

Every Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday mornings, my girlfriends and I gather together at the coffee shop and knit, and talk, and laugh, and cry, and knit some more.  Some of us are happy just to watch, while some of us knit row after row of perfectly executed garter stitch, and some of us are just a wee bit obsessed.
   
The magic of our needles and camaraderie brings an ever changing blend of men, women, grandparents and  children to the large round table; watching in awe or sharing stories.  I have come to appreciate each and every person who has passed through our group, and have come to depend on this profound connection we've created with each other.

Today, the tone at the table grew to sheer panic!  We were all completely shocked and surprised about how there's only a month until Christmas and no one has started their handmade gifts. (Yes, we do this panic thing every year.  You'd think we'd get a clue.) 

I also know that we are not the only ones panicking, so I have a gift for you...  a really easy, quick gift to make; Coffee Cozies.  They are so fast and easy, fit just about any size cup, and I bet you could make enough for all your family & friends in one weekend!  Better yet, grab a bunch of your favorite knitting (or crocheting) friends and spend the afternoon together cranking them out!

*KNIT Version*
Materials: 40g of worsted weight or chunky wool yarn, Size 8 needles, 2 buttons, needle for darning in ends.
Finished Measurements: 4" wide X 10" long


With two strands of worsted weight yarn or one strand of chunky weight yarn, CO 18 and knit in garter stitch for 9"
K2, BO 3, K7, BO 3, K1
K2, CO 3, K7, CO 3, K2
Knit 4 more rows of garter stitch and BO loosely
Darn in ends, sew on your buttons and you're ready for a refill~

*CROCHET Version*
Materials:  30g. of worsted weight or chunky wool yarn, Size I crochet hook, 2 buttons, needle for darning in ends
Size I crochet hook
Finished Measurements: 4" wide x 10" long
With two strands of worsted weight yarn or one strand of chunky weight yarn, chain 15 and turn.
Single crochet in second chain from hook.  *Single crochet across. Chain 1. Turn.  Repeat from * for 9"
On last row, single crochet 3.  Chain 5. Single crochet to last 4 stitches.  Chain 5.  Single crochet to end.  Turn.
To finish it off, single crochet in each stitch and bind off. (I skipped the stitch before and after each chain so that it doesn't bulge)
Darn in ends, sew on your buttons, and get yourself a cup of tea~


~ I'd love to see pics of your coffee house cozy adventures ~


*Please forgive me if I've made any mistakes in the patterns.  I wrote them up at 3:30 in the morning a few nights ago;)

46 comments

  1. Thanks Elizabeth, what a great idea! This may just be the little project I need to motivate me to learn to knit. ( gasp. it is true, I can't knit a stitch!) I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as someone who can only knit in squares and rectangles, i love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They should use these at Starbucks instead of throwing away all that cardboard. Can you start a movement here? Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ulla! Only if I don't have to knit them all myself;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What size buttons did you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they're about 1" across and 1/4" thick

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you so much, I was looking for a pattern for these and you had the cutest I found on ravelry. I'll let you know how my crochet version goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where do you get your buttons from?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Crissy, I hope you post a picture on Ravelry:)

    The buttons are some that the boys and I make here at home! You can find them in my etsy shop~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    Have you tried attaching anything to the coffee cozy to make it non-slippery, by chance? I plan to make one for a friend and use a tall ceramic mug. I'd like to prevent it from slipping and breaking. Let me know if you have tried anything like that. Many thanks! Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you could try and hot glue gun around the inside,top and bottom or random whatever pattern you can manage. Haven't tried it but that might work.

      Delete
  11. I haven't tried anything like this, but maybe a few stripes of t-shirt puffy paint on the inside might work. Let me know how it works:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful pattern, thank you!! just wondering what your policy is on gifting/selling finished cozies made from your pattern?? thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so welcome, Leanne! I'm really glad you're enjoying the pattern:) Gift away, however, the patterns and all items made from them are for personal use only.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love these! I'm a beginner knitter, and I'd love to give these as Christmas gifts this year!

    I do have some questions:

    1. When you were making the buttons, what methods of binding off and casting on did you use? In my "trial version," the button holes just came out as messy holes, lol.

    2. Can you post a link to your Etsy shop where I can buy those adorable buttons?

    Thanks so much!!!!

    P.S. I tried using a few lines of t-shirt paint on the back, and it worked GREAT with my ceramic mug. I think I'm going to use it to write my "Merry Christmas, _____! Love, Katie" message on the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Katie! Here's a link for the basic knit bind off that I use. Hope it helps:) http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/casting-off

    Unfortunately, I don't have any of the buttons left but I have purchased from HickoryFarms before and they have beautiful buttons! http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHickoryTree

    I love the idea of having a secret message inside the cozy:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there, I'm new to crochet and I really wanted to make something like this for Christmas gifts. Love the pattern but I'm confused about the last thing: "To finish it off, single crochet in each stitch and bind off. (I skipped the stitch before and after each chain so that it doesn't bulge)" - do you do a SC in each chain stitch around the button holes? Thank you!

    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  17. To be honest, I don't really remember, Dianna, and I'm not very good with technical terms when it comes to crochet;) I think it means that I skipped a stitch before and after each buttonhole and yes, sc in each chain around the button holes. Let me know if you need more help!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a question...I'm kinda new to knitting been doing it around 6 months...when I'm making the button holes, I get the k2 bo3, but the row after that it says k2 co3...is the cast on the same as a yarn over? I've looked for video's on youtube and haven't been successful...

    I tried it as a yarn over and that didn't work to well, so, I'm thinking I did it wrong! Any help would be appreciated!!! :)

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Of course as soon as I asked, I found a video that I think will work on youtube...it's casting on in the middle of your work...so I'll give that a try! :)

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this pattern! I just finished making one for my friend for her birthday.
    Thank you so much for sharing. I'm thinking I will have to make more of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you have a video of you making it. I have a super hard time following patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Saw this on Pinterest a couple of months ago, and just had to try it! I used my own pattern, but the idea came from you! I tagged this post in my blog post. Had to give you credit! Thanks! Here is my post, if you'd like to see: http://ceejones.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/crafty-coffee-cozy/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing, cee! I really like how you added the decorative ridge down the midde:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It most be nice to sit and hang out with your artistic friends. They most help you on your projects? Do you get most of your ideas from their work?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! I am super excited to try making this as a christmas gift this year! I am new to knitting and was just wondering, when you say size 8 knitting needle is that the US size 8 or is that 8mm? I have a set of both but wanted to check to see which ones:)
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this and I love your blog! I'm so happy to have run across your site!

    http://www.thesitsgirls.com/get-paid-blogging

    ReplyDelete
  27. So quick and easy - Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi! Wow, what an easy pattern and fun to make!! Would it be okay if I sell the Coffee Cozies I make from your pattern at a craft fair?
    Thanks,
    Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks so much for the pattern, I am hoping to make a bunch of these for my girlfriends for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great starting pattern! I've sketched about 8 designs for coffee cozies so far. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! Where did you get your buttons? There're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much for these ideas - I have a new brother-in-law and had no idea what to make him for Xmas - until I saw the mug and warmer!!! He LOVES coffee and this will be the perfect gift for him.
    xx Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm new to knitting and for the life of me I'm stuck on this pattern it's not clicking can some one help me I want to make this for my mom I got the cast on 18 but the when do u start the button hole ?? Help

    ReplyDelete
  35. What does the term K2, BO 3 and CO 3 mean

    Thanks Carol

    ReplyDelete
  36. Would like to try this for christmas gifts! Is chunky yarn the same as bulky or super bulky?
    Thanks
    HElen

    ReplyDelete
  37. A chunky yarn may call for larger needles than the worsted weight yarn. Would you still recommend using the US size 8 knitting needles for this project

    ReplyDelete
  38. Since the worsted is held double, Size 8 would be just fine for the thicker yarns. Some worsted's are fairly thin, so if the fabric seems too flimsy, go down a needle size.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Actually The Binding off section of the pattern came out correct seems that the casting on Section I'm doing something wrong. After I complete the knit to bind off three knit seven bind off three knit one I now have 12 stitches on my needle 8 in the middle and two on each side of the buttonholes is this correct

    ReplyDelete